Saturday, September 12, 2009

Carry it Forward: Beat by Beat

From the time I learned to read, it has been one of my favorite pastimes. Though my taste in books has changed a lot since then, I still enjoy it just as much. And I particularly enjoy those writers who tell their fascinating stories with rhythmic, almost poetic prose.

And yet, although I have enjoyed writing nearly as long as reading, I have never really considered the rhythms of the words i write. As I compose my stories and essays, I think constantly about making the ideas of each sentence flow smoothly into the next. It seems obvious that I should also consider the sounds of each sentence, but somehow that had never occurred to me.

So when we read Beat by Beat: The Rhythm of Great Writing in class yesterday, it was not the first time I had thought about the subject. It did, however, help me realize that rhythm could enhance my writing just as it does for my favorite authors. For me, it has opened up a new dimension of writing that I look forward to exploring this year.

As I mentioned before, I already try to choose my words carefully, write sentences precisely, and fit them together into a coherent piece. Now, however, I will look at each level of writing in another light as well, choosing my words not just for their meaning but for their sound. Through rhythm, I hope to make my writing more engaging and readable than I ever could before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email me!