Thursday, January 7, 2010

Metacognition: First Semester

The first semester of English has been an interesting experience, and while I don't believe that I think in a radically different way than at the start of the year, a number of aspects of the class have certainly influenced me. In particular, I have tried to be more open to new and unusual ideas, asking myself the question Mr. Allen raised at the very start of the year--Do I fully understand that which I am about to reject?

I have found myself thinking more deeply as a reader, partly because the books we have read have been surprising and though-provoking. The Blue Sweater offered an interesting take on philanthropy and poverty. The Kite Runner brought us a glimpse of a different culture and complex, conflicted characters. I particularly enjoyed Sophie's World, which gave me some basic understanding of philosophy for the first time.

I think about writing in new ways as well. When we discussed the rhythm of writing in class, I became newly aware of how the sounds of my words and sentences fit together into a whole, in the same way as their meaning. This opened up a new aspect of writing that I had been only vaguely aware of. The essays we have written have made me think as well, with their open-ended prompts forcing me to come up with my own ideas and build original arguments.

Of course, there are still ways I could improve. Throughout the first semester, I rarely raised my hand in class, mostly choosing to sit back and observe the discussion. In the next semester, I intend to participate more in these discussions, actively forming my own ideas about the subjects we cover and expressing them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email me!